The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year
Gateway Graduate School, the higher education and professional development arm of the Gateway Group, has been hosting the annual ‘International Forum for Teachers (IFT)’ in Sri Lanka in collaboration with internationally reputed organisations such as the University of Nottingham, Pearson Edexcel, the British Council, and the Microsoft Corporation since the year 2016. The IFT’s mission is to develop world-class teaching professionals through global partnerships and collaboration. This annual conference offers delegates the opportunity to network, exchange best practices and understand the rapidly changing aspects of school education globally.
The conference for the year 2018, themed ‘From Sage on the Stage to Guide by the Side’, is scheduled to take place on the 14th of July at the BMICH. As we are entering the pivotal third year of the conference, the organizers of the IFT have decided to launch the ‘Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ award. This annual award will recognize an outstanding teacher who demonstrates a sincere commitment to the furthering of the learning and development of students in Sri Lanka from any of the state, private or international sector schools. Mr. Aravinda De Silva, Sri Lanka’s elite cricketer and the match winner of the 1996 world cup final has committed to contribute One Million Rupees to the annual teacher award which will be open to all teachers of Sri Lanka. Mr. De Silva dedicates this award to his former Principal, Mr. R.I.T. Alles and his beloved late Father, Mr. Sam De Silva. The announcement of the award will be made in early May and the final selection will be made in the first week of July. The award will be given on the 14th of July at the end of the IFT conference.
Every year the Award Selection Committee will accept nominations that are supported by suitable evidences for the ‘The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ award. Each nomination must be supported by two letters of support from:
- The head of the educational institution at which the nominee is employed as a teacher.
- A proposer, who is a colleague at the educational institution at which the nominee is employed as a teacher.
In addition to the letters of support, the proposer of the nominee is required to submit a cover letter, the curriculum vitae of the nominee and relevant evidences (documents, videos, news articles, published materials, testimonials, learning materials developed by the nominee and publications by the nominee) to support the nomination for the award. Please refer to the Appendix section.
The organizers of the IFT intend to use a transparent process to select the most qualified candidate for the annual Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year award. The Award Selection Committee will evaluate the evidences provided for each nominee against the following six criteria:
- Being an exemplary member of the teaching profession at one’s own institution and within the wider teaching community.
- Using innovative teaching practices to support the learning processes of the students in the classroom and beyond.
- Scholarly contribution to the furtherance of issues related to teaching, learning and educational quality within Sri Lanka and beyond.
- Supporting the achievement of excellence in academic pursuits among students.
- Supporting the achievement of excellence in co-curricular pursuits among students.
- Contribution to the wider community through teaching and other worthwhile initiatives.
Evidences for each of the above criteria will be weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 by every member of the Award Selection Committee. The score achieved by each nominee against all of the six criteria as per the evaluation of every member of the Award Selection Committee will be aggregated to calculate the total score (total score against all of the six criteria as evaluated by each member X 6). The nominee who receives the highest score will be given ‘The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ award. Please refer to Appendix of this document for the template for evaluating the nominees.
- The members of the Award Selection Committee will consider the quality of the evidences produced on behalf of the nominee and not just the quantity of the evidences. They have the authority to disqualify the application if the applicant has not met the criteria.
- In the event of two or more nominees jointly receiving the highest score, the Award Selection Committee will decide on the final awardee through consensus.
- Applications must be submitted on/before 15th June 2018.
- Evidences can be submitted through the following media: Paper documents, USB (Flash Drives), CD/DVDs.
- Late applications will not be considered.
International Forum for Teachers
No. 01, 36th Lane (Opposite Devi Balika Vidyalaya),
Colombo 8, Sri Lanka.
Telephone: +94 112695103/+94 112695107
Mobile: +94 772256356