The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year
Gateway Graduate School, the higher education and professional development arm of the Gateway Group together with Pearson Edexcel and University of Nottingham have been hosting the annual International Forum for Teachers (IFT). This year too, we have decided to honour the teaching professionals in Sri Lanka by launching the ‘Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ Award.
We have enclosed the guidelines document for the award for your kind perusal. Please pass this message to your staff members and you can nominate staff members who are worthy of the award. There is no restriction on the number of applicants from each school. One Million Rupees will be awarded to 2019 winner of the ‘Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’.
Every year the Award Selection Committee will accept nominations that are supported by suitable evidences for the ‘The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ award. Each nomination must be supported by two letters of support from:
- The head of the educational institution at which the nominee is employed as a teacher.
- A proposer, who is a colleague at the educational institution at which the nominee is employed as a teacher.
In addition to the letters of support, the proposer of the nominee is required to submit a cover letter, the curriculum vitae of the nominee and relevant evidences (documents, videos, news articles, published materials, testimonials, learning materials developed by the nominee and publications by the nominee) to support the nomination for the award. Please refer to the Appendix section.
The organizers of the IFT intend to use a transparent process to select the most qualified candidate for the annual Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year award. The Award Selection Committee will evaluate the evidences provided for each nominee against the following six criteria:
- Being an exemplary member of the teaching profession at one’s own institution and within the wider teaching community.
- Using innovative teaching practices to support the learning processes of the students in the classroom and beyond.
- Scholarly contribution to the furtherance of issues related to teaching, learning and educational quality within Sri Lanka and beyond.
- Supporting the achievement of excellence in academic pursuits among students.
- Supporting the achievement of excellence in co-curricular pursuits among students.
- Contribution to the wider community through teaching and other worthwhile initiatives.
Evidences for each of the above criteria will be weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 by every member of the Award Selection Committee. The score achieved by each nominee against all of the six criteria as per the evaluation of every member of the Award Selection Committee will be aggregated to calculate the total score (total score against all of the six criteria as evaluated by each member X 6). The nominee who receives the highest score will be given ‘The Sri Lankan Teacher of the Year’ award. Please refer to Appendix of this document for the template for evaluating the nominees.
- The members of the Award Selection Committee will consider the quality of the evidences produced on behalf of the nominee and not just the quantity of the evidences. They have the authority to disqualify the application if the applicant has not met the criteria.
- In the event of two or more nominees jointly receiving the highest score, the Award Selection Committee will decide on the final awardee through consensus.
- Applications must be submitted on/before 10th August 2019.
- Evidences can be submitted through the following media: Paper documents, USB (Flash Drives), CD/DVDs.
- Late applications will not be considered.
International Forum for Teachers
No. 01, 36th Lane (Opposite Devi Balika Vidyalaya),
Colombo 8, Sri Lanka.
Telephone: +94 112695103/+94 112695107
Mobile: +94 772256356